Hi! Long time, no see... I am just now emerging from the rock I've been living under since giving birth to a tiny human. I miss my blog and spend basically every commute to work thinking about what I want to write about. Now that I've kind of gotten used to working full time while taking care of a baby I am starting to find small chunks of time to do what I want again, so I am ready to blab about food on the web as much as possible! I also want to start sharing some mom/baby stuff on here because I'm now of the age where many people I know are starting to have babies! I'm the furthest thing from an expert, but I love reading stuff from other moms and if I can be helpful to other moms the way moms have been helpful to me that would rock! So, if you only like food and hate babies... I am sorry and you can skip those posts😆.
Like everything else in my world, my eating habits have definitely changed since Quinn made his arrival. I used to go out and try new restaurants regularly. I also used to spend my time making different, elaborate meals for myself (and my family if they were around). Sadly, I haven't made it to too many restaurants lately but I did get to try a great one just a few weeks ago -Federal Galley! If you haven't been there yet, Federal Galley is the sibling of Smallman Galley in The Strip. These restaurants both have the same concept -several small restaurants (galleys) occupy the space at a time. Diners can come in and order from one or several of the restaurants. I am all about trying as many items from as many places as possible, so when my sister and I went I ran from place to place and ordered an item from each one! Here's what I tried:
Poutine from Supper: A prime example of why I could NEVER be vegan. Pountine is always a great idea. Cheese curds.. YES. Gravy..YES french fries..SO MUCH YES, but these fries are NEXT LEVEL as they are fried in duck fat. There is something so magical that happens when food is fried in animal fat. Also, this was the first poutine I've ever had with beef on top. It was kind of like pot roast and poutine merged together. Epic.
Crispy Cauliflower from Provision PGH: Cauliflower is in its prime right now, especially when made into crispy buffalo wingish things! I guess if you deep fry something it has to be good... but this dish was exceptional! The spicy cauliflower bites were delectable with the smoked blue cheese and the crispy celery. Scallions are an added bonus. This was a great appetizer to share!
Like everything else in my world, my eating habits have definitely changed since Quinn made his arrival. I used to go out and try new restaurants regularly. I also used to spend my time making different, elaborate meals for myself (and my family if they were around). Sadly, I haven't made it to too many restaurants lately but I did get to try a great one just a few weeks ago -Federal Galley! If you haven't been there yet, Federal Galley is the sibling of Smallman Galley in The Strip. These restaurants both have the same concept -several small restaurants (galleys) occupy the space at a time. Diners can come in and order from one or several of the restaurants. I am all about trying as many items from as many places as possible, so when my sister and I went I ran from place to place and ordered an item from each one! Here's what I tried:
The Farnsworth Funghi pizza from Michigan and Trumbull: This pizza was AMAZING!! It had goat cheese, mushrooms, arugula, and lemon zest. I've never actually had Detroit style pizza, but I am all about the thick crust life. Also, the lemon zest paired with the umami blast from the mushrooms was a match made in heaven! This was hands down in my top 3 favorite pizzas I've had in Pittsburgh. 10/10 would run back and eat the whole pizza again.
Poutine from Supper: A prime example of why I could NEVER be vegan. Pountine is always a great idea. Cheese curds.. YES. Gravy..YES french fries..SO MUCH YES, but these fries are NEXT LEVEL as they are fried in duck fat. There is something so magical that happens when food is fried in animal fat. Also, this was the first poutine I've ever had with beef on top. It was kind of like pot roast and poutine merged together. Epic.
Crispy Cauliflower from Provision PGH: Cauliflower is in its prime right now, especially when made into crispy buffalo wingish things! I guess if you deep fry something it has to be good... but this dish was exceptional! The spicy cauliflower bites were delectable with the smoked blue cheese and the crispy celery. Scallions are an added bonus. This was a great appetizer to share!
In my own kitchen, I've turned to many shortcuts since I'm now a lot shorter for time. I am all about salad kits and nourish bowls these days. I used to be all about the homemade items, but I've had to switch things up a bit to maximize my time with my lil boy.
Aside from using shortcuts, I've tried to just be more simple. I don't always have the motivation to spend an hour chopping things up anymore, so sometimes dinner can consist of tomatoes and cheese -ain't no problem there!
Although things have become way more simplified in my kitchen, I will say I have recently accomplished several foodie things that I'm proud of:
Seafood is one of my favorite things that I rarely ever make at home! One day at work, I was day dreaming about salmon so I decided to make some. I just baked it in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper. With seafood, simple is always better! When the fish was done I squeezed fresh lemon on top and then whipped up my own sauce (mayo, sour cream, lemon, capers, chives, dill, salt, and pepper). It was served with a garlic and chive risotto and sauteed zucchini and mushrooms.
It feels so good to be back on the blog. I've had all of these dishes and thoughts that I've been dying to share lately. Now that Quinn is a less needy child, I am going to be back on my food game. Hopefully I will also hit up some new places in the near future to discuss! Stay tuned!! :)










0 Comments